Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yoga Quiz!

TAKE THE YOGA QUIZ CHALLENGE!

I found this photo on the internet when I typed "tight hips" as a keyword into Google.  I am not quite sure what the picture is trying to show (is it tight hips? tight hamstrings? tight lower back?) but I thought it was a good way for me to introduce a new interactive feature into this blog.  Whether or not you come to my yoga classes or not, I hope that you can learn something from reading it.  So I have decided to have little yoga quizzes from time to time that I hope might enhance your practice or the way you think about your practice. 

I want you to take a look at the picture in the photo.  It is actually a fairly accurate replication of what I sometimes see in yoga class when people are coming into a standing forward bend. 

Below are some questions I want you to think about in relation to this photo.  I will post my own answers soon but hope that some of you might send in some suggestions of your own--either to my personal email or publicly if you are up for it!  I am giving a free yoga class to the person with the most creative and positive answers so have a try!

  1. What is the name of the standing forward bend in yoga (in Sanskrit and in English)?
  2. What part of the body typically stretches in this pose?
  3. If we were to make some changes to the way she is doing this pose, what might we suggest?  Bonus points for giving a reason.
  4. Reason why you love or hate this pose.
As you can see, I am not necessarily looking for one 'right' answer.  Have fun exploring your answers, just as I hope you have fun exploring your yoga.

mettha,
Samantha

2 comments:

  1. 1. Uttanasana or Forward Fold
    2. Hamstrings
    3. Bend knees, so chest is on thighs which frees up your back and you lose humps (your voice replays in my mind when I think of yoga poses)
    4. Love it cos it's simple yet challenging and reminds me that there's more to learn from yoga. Don't hate it but it requires more patience if you want to hold it longer :)
    5. I love Yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.padahastasana
    2.posterior muscles
    3.without bending the knee,she can keep her hands on the sides of the foot.
    4.while doing this pose,we can feel the flow of blood to the head

    ReplyDelete